Sunday, March 18, 2012

Georgia

I have decided to do the entire trip using a road atlas. Call me old school, but I enjoy being able to choose whatever road I want and just see where it takes me. :) I also thought it would be cool to see if I would run into cars with licenses plates for all 50 states. The drive from Jupiter to Atlanta alone almost got me there!!!! Here are the states (and other plates) I saw:

FL, GA, MI, OH, NH, CT, TN, NC, VA, Quebec, NV, CO, WI, SC, IL, MN, CA, DE, MD, VT, KY, ME, LA, IA, MA, Ontario, IN, MS, NE, MO, NY, UT, TX, WA, OR, PA, NJ, OK, AL, WV, and one from Europe.

I still have to find AK, AZ, AR, DC, HI, ID, KS, MT, NM, ND, RI, SD, and WY.

Now back to the trip... Sunday night, I left FL and drove to Atlanta, GA to meet up with a car buddy who I haven't seen in a long time. I had to laugh when the song "On the Road Again" came on the radio. For those of you wondering, I will also point out that even though it has already cost over $100 in gas, and I'm only in GA, I have not been pulled over yet!!! (Miracles happen.)

As I entered into GA, coming from the East side, the landscape began to change. Trees were naked other than a few leaves here and there. The grass was brown from winter, and I saw hills for the first time in about 6 months! I also saw my first traffic jam of the trip, which was unexpected on a Sunday night.



The first thing to greet me (other than my buddy of course) was my friend Midnight Blue. Here is a picture of Midnight Blue, my favorite color (well, tied with Heritage). :)



GA weather couldn't have been more beautiful! The sun was out and the weather was in the 70's, with just a touch of rain in the evenings. The first few days in Atlanta were spent writing my final report for the project I had been working on at work. It wasn't all bad as I got to watch a few movies on the big screen (including a surprisingly entertaining and embarrassing new movie called Game Change) while sipping on Coronas. :-) By Friday, my friend and I went for a 3 mile scenic hike and ended up having a big breakfast at Waffle House. :) Then it was running errands, like washing the car, getting an oil change, going food shopping...

On Saturday and Sunday, I played tourist. Went with a friend to Stone Mountain, where we went up the skylift to see the carving on the side of the mountain. We learned that it was even bigger than Mount Rushmore! (However, it truly didn't look that tall.) Here's a bit of trivia for you... Stone Mountain is the largest slab of granite in the US and came from a volcano!







Once at the top, we enjoyed the view, and then walked down the other side to the bottom.









I even found a small piece of granite to take with me as a souvenir! :)



And to my family in WI... They even had Ducks! Unfortunately, they were sold out, but we found a stray and took a few pictures. Reminder of the WI Ducks. LOL



Sunday was my last day in GA. I started out by taking a tour of the CNN building. One of the female anchors dressed like an eggplant and all dolled up was giving an interview at the time, which was neat to see, but of course, we were not allowed to take pictures of that. The best part was learning about why weathermen and women cannot wear green. They had us stand behand the green backdrop and the TV screen showed a map of the US instead of the green. However, if we put a green blanket in front of us, we would disappear into the map. I wish I had a photo of that! :-) Here are a few pictures...









After that, I went to the Atlanta aquarium. I was going to do the scuba diving in their huge indoor tank with the sharks and big fish, but then I saw the price and was content to watch from the outside. LOL The only thing missing were the penguins.





















You probably wouldn't guess what my favorite "fish" was. The seahorse!!!



Even though I don't drink Coke, my last tourist stop in GA was the World of Coca Cola.















Can you guys tell who this is??? LOL



Before leaving for South Carolina, Eric took me out to dinner. And not just any restaurant, but my favorite place! The PEANUT place (aka Texas Roadhouse)!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment