Monday, May 7, 2012

Utah (Cedar Breaks and Zion Nat'l Park)

I woke early and hit the road on the way to Cedar Breaks.  Hwy 14 was closed for the winter still, so I had to readjust my route.  As is becoming habit, there were deer to say good morning to me on the side of the road.  There actually were 2 that ran right out in front, but luckily I didn't hit them.  Beautiful creatures!!  The scenery wasn't bad either on the way to Cedar Breaks.



Cedar Breaks is at very high altitudes and there was a lot of snow.  I tried to make snow angels, but it was just too darn hard.  The hard snow actually was much better than mushy snow since I later had to walk through it (and drive through it) to get to some of the overlooks.






Chessman Overlook was the first one at 10,400 ft:




Next is Sunset View.  My car was enjoying the cold air and snow almost as much as I was. :)





Here is Point Supreme Overlook.  I would call these the frozen hoodoos. :)




Cedar Breaks was a small park, and since it was too cold to hike or do anything else, I didn't spend much time there.  When I was done, I had a long drive to Zion Nat'l Park.  On the way, there black obsidian rocks (probably from a lava flow at some point).




The checkerboard mesa greeted me at the beginning of Zion Nat'l Park.


I couldn't go fast, but didn't need to.  Despite what I consider exhibiting an excellent display of patience on the road, I was not overly happy with the cars going 15 under the speed limit.  There were a lot of twisties to get to the Visitor's Center, which is where you get on a shuttle.  (Only in winter can you drive to the different scenic areas in the park.)  It wasn't a problem though since I had all day to spend here (for once I was very relaxed and not rushing myself) and the shuttles came by every 5-10 minutes.

By this time it was Monday and I had to pay for the park as it was no longer free.  The only people at the park were pretty much older people and a number of young foreigners who enjoyed hiking.  The scenery was magnificent here!








Right before the super long tunnel there was a pullout for a 2 miles canyon overlook hike.  Naturally, I had to stop and go for a hike.  However, there was no room to park as all spots were taken.  I had a brilliant idea!!  I would park illegally in front of a few cars (as far back as I could so they could get out if they had to) and then I'd jog the 2 mile hike, hopefully passing the people who were parked there so I'd finish before them.  I was confident in my hiking by now since I had no trouble hiking with elevation changes at 8000 ft, but let me tell you...  Half way through, I was tired as could be.  The scenery was worth it, the jog made me feel good, and I managed to return before anyone else.  All was good. :)





In order to get to the actual park, you have to cross what felt like the world's longest tunnel.  I should admit that I realized after the Lohman Caves (and the other caves I have gone in...and the elevators crowded with people that go up to the tall buildings...) that I am in fact claustrophobic and get anxiety.  I cannot help it though I try to ignore and hide it.  In fact, it was so bad in the caves that I asked the woman if we could just walk through the cave instead of having to stand there for 1 1/2 hrs.  I couldn't.  My heart races and I feel like I cannot breath.  Now, if I'm in control of how fast I move and what I do, I'm okay.  Altitude still gives me anxiety, but I'm doing okay so far. :-)

Anyway...  The tunnel was difficult because it was so long and there were a lot of people.  Surprisingly, it was actually worse being on the shuttles.  Go figure.  Well...  I made it to the parking lot, put on sunscreen, took extra batteries, the map, and water, and got on the shuttle.


Weeping rock was my first stop.  There is a short trail I took through the forest with flowers, springs, ferns, and mosses.










Big Bend was the next stop.  I saw rock climbers (I tried to zoom in and they still look tiny).  There were rocks and a river that I walked down to.




Temple of Sinawava is the next stop (and a fun one at that).  I went on a 2 mile hike down by the river.  At the end of the hike, the canyon narrows and if you want to go backpacking or do an all day hike, you can go hiking through the narrows.  If I wasn't going to be doing Angel's Landing, I'd consider it, but all in all, just the river hike was nice and relaxing and slow, and very easy.  More rock climbers as well (coming down the rock).






There were a lot of other people on this hike, including children, who wanted to play in the water.  If you crossed the water, that's where the trail to the narrows resumed.  No one was going there though (at least that I saw).  There was swamp despite the desert, and a squirrel posing for food. :-)






I had been doing all these other hikes, but since Annie said to do Angel's Landing, I decided of course to do it.  I initially rationalized avoiding it as it was past noon and hot and the sun was out, and I didn't want to do a difficult hike while risking head exhaustion. :-)  It said it was the most strenuous.  Finally, I had to suck it up and do it.  Being an idiot, I did the 5-6 miles of other hikes first...

So now I am in Grotto.  I refilled my water (which was nice and cold) and  walked to the start of Angel's Landing. :-)  Six people have died in the past few years on Angel's Landing.  I'm scared of heights, but just like when I was skydiving, I also believe in facing my fears.  The first 2/3 of the climb was boring and difficult.  It was a lot of switchbacks (which I kept calling "switchblades" accidentally).  I had to break a few times (okay, a lot of times) because I was exhausted.  I finished about 1/2 of my water by the time I was 2/3 of the way up, but I needed it.  There were different types of flowers on the way up.  It helped break the monotony of the hike by taking pictures of them. :-)











So, on a tangent...  I did not bring a backpack or walking sticks - both of which I could have used during this hike.  Instead, I bought larger jeans in Grand Junction that allowed me to put water in the back pocket (I could have used 2 waters in both back pockets if needed) though you have to remember to take the water out before sitting down on the rocks.  In my other back pocket I put the folded map of the trails and park.  In my front pocket I kept lip gloss, extra batteries, and 1/2 a bag of trail mix.  In the other front pocket I kept my keys and camera.  That allowed me to use both hands and still have everything I needed. :-)




Once I got to about 1000 feet up most of the people came down.  Those of us that are brave (or stupid) continued up.  Angel's Landing is really the last third of the climb.  It's rock climbing without the ropes very high up with cliffs and very steep drop offs on both sides.  I have to give it to Annie that this was the cool part.  The first 2/3 of the way up I was cursing her name.  This part, although scary, was amazing and very cool.  I was praising her name now (and just also praying I made it up and down without falling off the cliff).  The hard part was that I was already very tired by the time I got to the rock climbing part, so my muscles were shaking and I wasn't as solid and stable as I could have been.  They did have metal chains put up in various places by the rocks to help keep people from falling.  You can see how steep the last part is!!! : -)



There were these 2 very nice people who I was taking pictures for - they didn't have a camera.  They were going to meet me at the bottom to exchange email info so I could send them their pictures.









This is the top.  You can see the picture of me climbing to the top with the 1400 feet drop off right behind me.  I threw my camera to the people above me and they took this picture.  I am smiling, but in reality, my hand was slipping and I was scared sh--less.  I was comfortable when I was finally down from there.  But at the top I ate trail mix and there was a chipmunk chasing me (and my food).  LOL







On the bottom it looked like it was snowing, but it wasn't.  It was just pollen.  Like I mentioned, I promised the couple I met at the top that I would meet them at the bottom.  Since I jogged down and it took me only 28 minutes, I waited 16 shuttle buses - or an hour and a half - for them to get down.  It's been a week and they still haven't emailed me.  I hope they do so it was worth the wait.  LOL  Oh yeah!  There was also a deer right next to me. :-)






I then went on one last trail for the day - the Emerald Pool trail.  This was supposed to be a grand waterfall, but both waterfalls were actually quite weak.




I left the park and the sun was setting.  It was beautiful and that meant time to find a motel and fall asleep. :-)  Until tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment