Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 1

Hello all!!! It has been a couple of months since the last project, but I finally have Internet access in my new place. I hope you enjoy this one!!

I was looking for a new challenge, and went back to one of my hobbies from childhood - jigsaw puzzles. :-) Before tackling the "big project" (which you will read about in future posts), I wanted to get some practice in... I enjoy collecting little seashells, and since I have a "FL" theme in my bathroom, why not carry that on to my bedroom? A theme that would remind me of my old place in Jupiter... When I went with Bob to climb up the Jupiter lighthouse, I saw LOTS of puzzles w/the ocean theme in the gift shop! It was a sign... I picked up 6 1000-pc puzzles and went to work.

I didn't have a table to work on, so I used the rotary mat from my baby quilt project, and just did the puzzles on my bed. The mat is about the size of a 1000-pc puzzle (as you'll be able to see), so there wasn't much room to lay out the pieces. Instead, I just picked pieces from the box - more of a challenge that way. :-) These puzzles still were not difficult, but they took a few days to do and were a nice warm up for what is to come...

The first puzzle was called "Birds of our Shores".


Then I did a puzzle called "Shells of our Shores". Because I do not yet have puzzle glue, once the puzzles were done, I had to break them up into pieces and put them back in the boxes. I did not take a picture of this puzzle when it was together - just after I had already put it back into the box. Once I hang the pictures on the wall in my room, you'll get to see all of the puzzles in their final form. :-)


The third puzzle I did was called Endangered Species. Not really a shore theme, but it was the same size as the others (and I was on a role), so I just had to get it... In the first picture, I'm hard at work. :-)


In the second picture, I finished the puzzle.


In the third, I'm breaking it into pieces and putting it back in the box. This looked like a challenging puzzle, but actually it only took 4-5 hrs to put together.


The 4th puzzle was called "The Civil War". This one was a little bit more challenging than I would have thought.


And there was "Sailing Ships and Seafaring". This was the most challenging of these 6 puzzles. It took about 8 hrs to put together!!! I think that's because all the sailboats looked about the same in the pieces. But this gets back on theme and will look great on my bedroom wall!


I started to put this one back in its box without taking a picture of it completed. Oops. :-)


And last but not least was the "American Maritime History", which also nicely fit in with the FL water theme!


I did not take a picture of this one finished either. I think that's because I was getting ready to move and my mind was not on puzzles anymore - it was on starting my new job and moving into my own place!!!! :-)

Now that I'm all warmed up with "practice puzzles", it's time for something grand! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment