Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 16

I was supposed to be out of town for the the weekend (Fri - Mon) to watch the Super Bowl in Atlanta. Unfortunately, the trip was canceled, which means I got to work on part of the quilt today!! :-)


I finished cutting around the outline of the car, as well as in the windows, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance.



Then, I started to piece them together. I started with the middle row. Some of the pieces worked better when I pinned them together, though I did not have to do this with all of them.



I did make a rather large error on one of the pieces that I sewed, but luckily I had received an email from my mom last night telling me that I should get a seam ripper if I had to rip any of the thread apart (it was very difficult and time consuming to do it with a scissors). I looked in my accessories bag for something that might resemble a seam/thread ripper, and found it! :-) Mom was right! It took about 1/10th the time to cut about the 2 pieces that were incorrectly pieced together.



The tricky part was that if I sewed them too close together, the pieces would not line up. However, if I gave too much space in my sewing, the white in the seam would come through and be visible. These are the first 2 pieces that I pieced together. They lined up quite well!!



This is what the first 5 pieces comprising the middle row looked like once ironed.



Then I pieced the top row together. Because a lot of these pieces involved cut out windows and doors, it was not easy at all to properly line up these pieces.



Some of the pieces were even cut into multiple pieces, but nonetheless, this row turned out okay.



Then I took both rows, pinned them together, and pieced the top 2 rows together. This looked easier than it was with the cut outline and windows. The piecing I did the other day were with even squares and rectangles, so it was easy to see how to line up the pieces. In spite of the difficulty, this is what these 2 rows looked like after I ironed down the seams.



Finally, I pieced together the bottom row, and then pieced that entire row to the bottom part of the middle row. This is what the black GT photo looked like once all of the pieces were sewn together. It does not look big, but is about 2 feet high and 3 feet wide. :-)



Unless you look closely, you cannot really see that this is 13 individual pieces sewn together. I am very happy with the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment