Friday, August 10, 2012

MT (Glacier Nat'l Park)

The next day I drove to Glacier Nat'l Park.  There are grizzly bear in the park, but I didn't have bear spray yet.  The road through the park was closed about 10 miles up the road, so I could only go as far as Avalanche Lake.  It was about 5 pm when I got there, and I went ahead and hiked the 4 mile round trip trail to Avalanche Lake.

Almost everyone on the trail that I ran into had bear spray and commented on my hiking alone.  Some of the guys even pointed out a grizzly bear - luckily he was far out of reach!  I tried to get a picture, but because it was starting to get dark and he was far away, the pictures were all very fuzzy.  Oh well.

Also on this trail, while rounding a corner, someone heard me coming and sprayed me with bear spray.  Not sure if it was intentional or if he was just trying it out and not paying attention.  Either way, I couldn't breath and my lungs and skin burned.  By the time I was able to get far enough away to get a fresh breath and take some of the clothes off, the guy was gone.  What an idiot!!!!  At least I can see why it works well on bears!  That stuff was nasty!  (And thankfully, I didn't get too much in my lungs or eyes!)  Here are some photos from the trail and the lake.



















When I got back from the Avalanche Lake trail, I went on the 1.5 mile loop trail called "Trail of the Cedars".  This was a nice easy interpretive trail (and all about the cedar trees), though not quite as scenic.  A good way to end the day.  There was someone on the trail who sprained her ankle and the park ranger had to help walk/carry her out.  She did NOT have a great end to the day!






On the way back out of the park, there were several spots you could hike down near the river to get a better look at the white water of the river, the pink and gray rocks flanking the river's sides, and the snow covered (and often fog-covered) mountains in the distance.















A river of ice over 2000 ft thick moved down this valley.  Below is Lake McDonald, which is evidence of the glacier's passing.







Across from Lake McDonald there was a large fire that left the landscape fairly bare.


"I think it was about 9:30 PM when we got to the foot of the lake.  None of us were prepared for what we saw.  The reality of watching huge flames burn Howe Ridge was shocking and I remember feeling a lot of different things.  It was exciting, horrible, beautiful, and sad all at the same time.  I know what happened there has happened over and over for hundreds of years, and I've already seen new growth sprouting under the burned trees.  I look forward to seeing the changes that will take place, but I will miss the way the larch colored the ridge each fall, as their needles turned golden."  -Glacier National Park employee


After leaving the park, you could still see the mountain range from Glacier Nat'l Park.  The mountains are spectacular, as was the sunset (despite the clouds and rain)!



No comments:

Post a Comment